Natural hair can be a challenge at times. Whether you are a seasoned veteran or a new natural, here are some hacks you can use the next time your hair gives you a hard time. Some of these tips are common knowledge, while others are life hacks you never thought of. Either way, this is an easy list that you can bookmark for future reference.
1. Wash and style your hair in sections so that it is not overwhelming. Detangle damp hair with some conditioner or oil, the slip of the conditioner and water will make detangling much easier.
2. Detangle your hair from end to root NOT root to end.
3. Don’t let your hair shrink and tangle during the wash process. Wash your hair in braided sections. You can unravel the braid, wash and rebraid to really get to all of your hair strands.
4. DON’T make circular motions while washing your hair… unless you want tangles. Scrub your scalp and let the shampoo run down the hair shaft.
5. Hair conditioner doesn’t have enough slip? Add a few drops of your favorite carrier oil for more slip.
6. Want to avoid frizz when drying your hair? Trade in your towel for an old t-shirt.
7. Do your ends get really tangled? Do your twist-outs frizz at the ends? Experiencing excessive breakage? It’s time for a trim.
8. Use a headband to pull your hair into a puff. Too tight? Stretch it out on the back of a chair. To put it on, wrap twice around your neck —without choking yourself — then put it on.
9. Want to wear a turban or head wrap for a pineapple this summer and don’t know how? Watch this video and buy this headband. They are a lot easier than regular wraps.
10. Tired of your twists not drying by morning? Squeeze out excess water and let them air dry before twisting.
11. Want more defined twists? The wetter the hair, the more definition — and tighter the curl.
12. Want more length? Style on damp, not wet hair.
13. Looking for heatless curls? Try Curlfomers. They are easy to set and comfortable. You can wrap them in a pineapple for bedtime.
14. Want to stretch your hair without heat? Try banding your hair. The tighter the bands the stretched the hair and vice versa.
15. To set your style, give your hair a blast of cool air from your air dryer.
16. Does your hair need moisture, but you don’t want to wet it? Try steaming your hair in the shower. You can also try the QRedew handheld steamer or a traditional steamer.
17. Need to lay your edges? Spritz a little bit of water followed by a butter or gel of your choice. Tie your hair down until it dries with a satin scarf. Then Voila! Your edges are laid hunty!
18. Deep condition your hair with heat for maximum conditioning and moisture payoff.
19. Looking for an alternative for those “homely” looking head wraps at night. Try a satin pillowcase!
20. Do you detangle your hair in the bathtub, or get bored while washing? Put a mirror on the wall to see what you are doing on wash days.
So there you have it! 20 hacks for your natural hair! Do you have tricks to share? Leave them in the comment section!
Get tons of beauty tips and tricks at KinkyFro!
Note: Each word underlined or blue is linked.